Get SF Weekly Newsletters
Pin It

Letters to the Editor 

Week of 2-7-07

Justice Contorted

Our criminal cover girl: I can't believe you made a news story about Jade-Blue Eclipse and how she has stolen the identity of a dead girl ["A Twisted Tale," Jan. 24].

A crime is a crime. I'm sure people who are victims of identity theft don't think it's funny — dead or alive. Are we supposed to feel sorry for her because she is a cool acrobatic sex worker and adult movie star? Or did you just put her picture on the cover to sell papers? Sure, she is hot, but she broke the law. She may be an ultra-cool underground alternative girl, but that doesn't make her above the law. Get a real story.

Tasha S.

Castro Valley, Calif.

Norway weighs in: Of course, all the things Jade did by stealing identities of a dead child isn't [a] good thing. But I'm sure she did it out of desperation. With this background, and living in the States almost all her life, I think she should get her punishment for the fraud and then get the U.S. citizenship. But humanity and justice [aren't] the strongest sides that reflect today's U.S.A. under Mr. Bush's regime. They will probably send her to Guantánamo, in all their terrorist paranoia.

Thor Solberg

Oslo, Norway

Enlightenment in T.J.'s: Jade-Blue Eclipse was a mythic heroine right here in our backyard, and the government chased her away. This brings me great sadness and some anger, though upon reflection I feel the beginnings of faith that some good will come out of it: for Jade on her journey and for the people she encounters. As for us, we will be lucky if she ever comes back and shares what she has learned.

A few years ago I bumped into Jade in Trader Joe's shortly after I'd seen her perform. I complimented her amazing performance, then greedily seized upon the opportunity to ask her questions about her training process. She was down to earth, and kindly answered my questions with a friendly manner. Something she said still stands out in my memory. She was talking about the pain she encountered in training as a contortionist, which she referred to as "learning to bend."

"I asked myself, am I willing to live with this pain, for the rest of my life, in order to bend? I said yes, I was. After that, the pain went away."

This statement has not ceased to inspire me to aspire to greater courage in my own training and in my life in general. Let go of fear, and so much pain will evaporate; it is a lesson that has proved true again and again. Thank you, Jade, for sharing your wisdom with a young, undisciplined dancer, and for living your life in such a fearless manner. I wish you luck on your shamanic journey, and know that beings around you will benefit from your increasing wisdom.

Hannah Griffith

San Francisco


Love it or leave it alone: One would think Matt Smith might want to interview a few people who actually attend Burning Man ["Burnt Man," Jan. 24], rather than just approaching the LLC, which would obviously offer only guarded remarks ahead of a legal battle. Had Matt completed his journalistic homework, I doubt he would have found many people agreeing that the event is anything resembling a Larry Harvey personality cult.

I've gone to the event four times. It wasn't until my second year that I even knew the name Larry Harvey. As for the article, some of the allegations might have merit, but many don't, such as the allegation, not attributed to Law specifically, that the Black Rock City's layout was somehow inspired by Albert Speer. This would be believable only to someone who has never been to Burning Man, if even then. Has Matt been to the event? Or what about the accusation that Burners call Harvey "chief"? I have volunteered dozens of times for Burning Man, both in Nevada and locally, yet never heard such a term used even jokingly.

My question is this: Why does Matt write 90 percent crap, leaving his readers to figure out which 10 percent of his articles are actually supportable?

Daniel Ross

San Francisco


Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

Popular Stories

  1. Most Popular Stories
  2. Stories You Missed


  • clipping at Brava Theater Sept. 11
    Sub Pop recording artists 'clipping.' brought their brand of noise-driven experimental hip hop to the closing night of 2016's San Francisco Electronic Music Fest this past Sunday. The packed Brava Theater hosted an initially seated crowd that ended the night jumping and dancing against the front of the stage. The trio performed a set focused on their recently released Sci-Fi Horror concept album, 'Splendor & Misery', then delved into their dancier and more aggressive back catalogue, and recent single 'Wriggle'. Opening performances included local experimental electronic duo 'Tujurikkuja' and computer music artist 'Madalyn Merkey.'"