Get SF Weekly Newsletters

Monday, June 1, 2009

Cheap Wines That Don't Suck: 2007 Citluk Kameno

Posted By on Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Mostar: Gaining new cred in the U.S. as a wine capital? - DOLCESTILNOVA VIA FLICKR
  • Dolcestilnova via Flickr
  • Mostar: Gaining new cred in the U.S. as a wine capital?
If the last time you heard "Bosnia Herzegovina" was on CNN back in the '90s, it's time to tune back in. This formerly war-torn region produces beautiful and affordable wines, many of which are now being imported to the U.S.

The most prevalent white grape in the region is Žilavka, which makes up 90 percent of this week's cheap wine (Bena, a blending grape, accounts for the other 10 percent). It comes from Mostar, the region's fifth largest city and also a wine appellation, immortalized when its famous bridge was destroyed in 1993 during the war.

The wine is sophisticated, stony, slightly lemony, and lightly acidic -- it's great as a summer aperitif or with fish, oysters, or shrimp. Just as nice? It's only 10 bucks at Vintage Berkeley (2113 Vine at Walnut and 2949 College at Ashby, Berkeley).

  • Pin It

Tags: ,

About The Author

Kim Westerman

Comments

Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

Popular Stories

  1. Most Popular Stories
  2. Stories You Missed

Like us on Facebook

Slideshows

  • clipping at Brava Theater Sept. 11
    Sub Pop recording artists 'clipping.' brought their brand of noise-driven experimental hip hop to the closing night of 2016's San Francisco Electronic Music Fest this past Sunday. The packed Brava Theater hosted an initially seated crowd that ended the night jumping and dancing against the front of the stage. The trio performed a set focused on their recently released Sci-Fi Horror concept album, 'Splendor & Misery', then delved into their dancier and more aggressive back catalogue, and recent single 'Wriggle'. Opening performances included local experimental electronic duo 'Tujurikkuja' and computer music artist 'Madalyn Merkey.'"