And now, some good news on the health front:
State health department officials say the measles outbreak has been contained — at least for now.
You may recall that late last year, a low-boiling panic swept across the land after health officials revealed that Disneyland ("the Magic Kingdom," of all places!) was epicenter of several measles cases. The announcement set off a statewide public awareness campaign — and a heated national debate — over vaccines. Here in the Bay Area, a couple of cases emerged,
both said to have been linked to tech workers who had subsequently reported riding public transportation.
For the better part of fifty years, measles, which is highly-communicable, has been a preventable sickness— as long as infants are immunized; California, though, has "'pockets of non-immunization," according to Dr. Gil Chavez, Deputy Director of the California of Public Health. The statewide outbreak included 130 people who were diagnosed, 17 reported cases in the Bay Area.
During a media briefing earlier today, Dr. Chavez also said that the last reported case of measles related to the Disneyland outbreak was diagnosed on March 2, 2015.
Chavez and other health department officials urged the public to get vaccinated.
In response to the 'pockets of non-immunization' in parts of California that are said to have helped fuel the outbreak — looking at you, Marin County — state representative Richard Pan of Sacramento introduced legislation to eliminate an exemption that had allowed parents to opt-out vaccinating infants against the disease based on "personal beliefs."
The outcome of that legislation has yet to be determined.