Although it's money and politics fueling Muni's labor dispute, we're going to gloss over those subjects for a minute and talk about what's really on your mind right now: how the hell are you going to get home tonight?
You don't want to be stuck in the misery you were in this morning when some 200 Muni workers called in "sick", leaving commuters stranded citywide. Cable cars were shut down and buses were running way off schedule, with commuters waiting up to 70-plus minutes for a bus.
We're hearing this "sickout" might last another few days -- and apparently, Muni's leaders are hearing the same thing. The transit agency fired off some necessary bus information and tips on how to survive the commute home this evening -- and beyond.
- Expect delays or in some cases no service on routes and bus lines across the city; you'll probably be waiting up to 60 minutes for a bus, as some buses may be turned back mid-route to help deal with crowding. Watch for announcements via NextBus or in Metro stations.
- All Muni Metro rail lines (J Church, K Ingleside, L Taraval, M Ocean View, N Judah, T Third) will continue to operate with two-car trains to maximize capacity.
- S Shuttles will operate in the subway between Embarcadero and West Portal station to maximize service in the subway
- The L and M lines will operate on the surface only and not enter the subway; passengers continuing into the subway should transfer to/from an S Shuttle at West Portal Station.
- L and M customers should take any S Shuttle train or a K Ingleside train in the subway and transfer at West Portal.
- The N Judah Line will operate to Embarcadero Station only.
- The T Third will be the only Muni Metro service to the Caltrain Station at 4th and King.
- On the J Church Line, every other train will turn from southbound to northbound at 30th and Church streets. Destinations signs will be changed on these trains.
Muni Bus Service
- No limited-stop service (affects the 5L, 9L, 14L, 28L, 38L)
- 8AX Bayshore Express will stay south of Market. 8BX will operate without changes.
- No inbound service will be available on the 41 Union. Customers should use the 45 Union Stockton instead.
- The following routes will not operate in the afternoon/evening commute:1AX/BX,31AX/BX, 38AX/BX, 16X, 88, 3 Jackson. The majority of stops on this route are covered by the 2 Clement
- The cable cars are not in service. Cable car lines will continue to be covered by limited bus shuttle service.
Of course, there are other ways to get around, including walking, biking, carpooling, taxi service, BART (BART is accepting customers with a valid Muni proof of payment between Daly City and Embarcadero stations), or our personal favorite: telecommuting.
"I want to apologize to our Muni customers and others who have been negatively affected by today's limited service," said Ed Reiskin, SFMTA Director of Transportation. "While we have an operations plan in place to help Muni customers plan ahead this afternoon, we do anticipate delays and crowding."
You should keep monitoring the news and Muni's Tweeter feed for commute conditions in the morning.