Pet owners be warned -- again: Police recovered more poisonous meatballs yesterday in the Sunset, which were obviously meant to harm unsuspecting dogs.
Officer Gordon Shyy says a woman was walking her pup at about 9 a.m. yesterday near 24th Avenue and Ortega Street when her dog sniffed out a plate of curious-looking meatballs that had been placed on the street.
Shyy says says the meatballs appeared to have pills lodged inside of them; the woman called the cops who arrived at the scene and collected the unsavory meat snacks.
It's an odd crime that police have made a priority in San Francisco where poisonous meatballs have been intentionally placed around select neighborhoods in the city, with the clear intention to hurt -- and in some cases kill -- local dogs.
The first stash of poisonous meatballs were found last July in the Upper Market neighborhood when a hungry dachshund named Oskar noshed on the treats and fell ill. Sadly, Oskar later died. After testing the meatballs, police learned they had been laced with "high levels of strychnine."
Strychnine is a "strong poison" that is found in the form of a white, odorless, bitter crystalline powder that us primarily used as a pesticide.
After learning that, police confirmed that indeed there was a dog killer on the loose.
In February, some dogs sniffed out the same kind of meatballs in Twin Peaks and in the Richmond, causing a mild panic among dog owners citywide. After that, the Animal Defense Fund started a campaign to put an end to the laced-meatball problem in San Francisco. The organization is offering a $25,000 reward to anyone who can help catch the person who's sprinkling San Francisco with the dangerous snacks.
Anyone with information regarding this incident and the other meatball incidents are asked to call the cops ASAP at 575-4444.