A group of San Francisco middle school students ate a tablet of rat poison that they found on a filing cabinet inside a classroom at Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School.
Mindy Talmadge, a spokeswoman for the San Francisco Fire Department, said the incident happened at about noon today. One of the students saw a small, blue tablet on a filing cabinet. She thought it looked like candy so she sniffed it and took a bite, Talmadge said.
Other students watching this decided they also wanted to try a bite of the "candy."
"They licked it and chewed it," Talmadge said. "It was miniscule amounts."
Another student told the students who were licking the tablet that it was rat poison.
"How it got there, I don't know," Talmadge said. "They usually don't have it inside the school premises."
School district officials were on their way to Martin Luther King school when SF Weekly called. The school has not yet returned calls.
The students were taken to various hospitals, although none of them had any symptoms. They have since been released and are with their parents.
"That particular poison would have to be consumed in large quantities to be toxic," Talmadge said.
According to the lunch menu, chicken nuggets were served today. Rat poison wasn't on the menu.
Follow us on Twitter at @TheSnitchSF and @SFWeekly