Wednesday, July 7, 2010
Crime / Sports
The Most Peculiar Athlete Arrests of All-Time
By Alex Wolens
on Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 12:30 PM
nailed for possession of codeine cough syrup
-- the key ingredient of "purple drank."
Russell's Monday arrest on a Nyquil rap got us thinking about other athletes who've hurt their careers making senseless mistakes.
Here's a list:
- In 2002, Najeh Davenport -- a halfback at the University of Miami and later in the NFL -- broke into a girl's dorm room only to pop a squat over her hamper. Police said they canned the DNA-free poo, upsetting Davenport who insisted on knowing the whereabouts of his "manure." His charge was second-degree burglary and a misdemeanor count of criminal mischief. That really stinks, Davenport, but at least you got a Facebook cult following out of it.
- before paying a $150 cab fare. The Oakland native is a former NBA player and dunk contest champion, but apparently is not much of a tipper. Or even a payer, for that matter.
In April of this year, J.R. a.k.a. Isaiah Rider a.k.a. the "inventor of the East Bay Funk Dunk" was arrested for going on a fast break --
- Scottish boxer Scott Harrison may be light in weight, but is not light of heart. The World Boxing Federation's featherweight title was arrested in Spain for starting a fight. No surprise there -- he's a boxer, after all. But it's not every day a pugilist triggers a brawl in a brothel.
- When athletes can't beat an opponent, they apparently beat themselves. A slew of sports players have been caught jerkin' the gherkin in public, and in the case of Penn State point guard Stanley Pringle, in the school library. Crouching in the stacks, he struck up conversation with a lady while performing.
- Tate Pittman, a defensive lineman for Texas A&M, lured his victim over to his car, pointed at his junk, and asked "Can you help me with this?" He was arrested for indecent exposure.
- And the winner of the most ridiculous charge is Zachary Marshall, an offensive lineman for Miami of Ohio. The college student went out, got wasted, then came back to his dorm room to pass out. The big guy apparently didn't notice that he'd collapsed over a sleeping girl and smothered her head with his pillow. It was only after she fought him off that he realized he'd entered the wrong room. He was charged with aggravated burglary.
Follow us on Twitter at @TheSnitchSF
Following a police sting operation, epic NFL bust JaMarcus Russell added himself to the list of famous figures, including Lil' Wayne, who've been