By Ashley Harrell
Photos Courtesy of David Sweet
After the California did the unspeakable and passed Prop 8 last week, people began to wonder what the fuck happened. Was it Gavin Newsom's smugness? Bigoted voters? Rich Mormons? God himself?
The No on 8 campaign is at least partly to blame. Their message about Prop 8 taking rights away didn't really line up with their ads (which didn't feature a single gay person) and their promises that gay marriage wouldn't be taught in schools didn't really line up with reality (remember that first grade class showed up at their teacher's lesbian wedding at City Hall?) Is it really so damning to admit that yes, a major civil rights victory in California might be mentioned in school? Civil rights battles are always taught in schools. So the message that Prop 8 is simultaneously a civil rights issue and that it won't be taught in schools undoubtedly confused some voters and drew skepticism from others.
So at Friday night's protest, I was on the look out for messages that the No on 8 campaign might consider while crafting its campaign for the next time around if the state ever allows voters to decide on this issue again. Behold the top 10.
10. FUCK Diplomacy. We want rights now.
9. FAGS ARE HUMAN.
8. RESTRAINING ORDER: YOUR RELIGIOUS BELIEFS MUST STAY 500 YARDS AWAY FROM MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS AT ALL TIMES!!!
7. Can I Vote On Your Marriage Now?
6. 5,419,478 Bigos Stole Our Civil Rights
5. F PROP 8 IN THE A
4. YOU GAVE RIGHTS TO CHICKENS AND TOOK RIGHTS AWAY FROM HUMAN BEINGS
3. Joseph Smith had 34. Brigham Young had 56. I just want one.
2. Let Us Eat Pussy In Wedded Bliss
1. I am profoundly hurt.