If you caught UnderCover Presents' re-imagining of Green Day's Dookie
in February, then you know what to expect from their upcoming tribute to Radiohead's seminal, fourth album, Kid A,
from June 3 to 5 at The Independent.
Every song from the Grammy Award winning album will be played at the three-night event, but don't come expecting them to sound like the originals. Instead, come prepared to hear bands from disparate genres reinterpreting the tracks in new styles, tempos, and melodies.
You'll hear everyone from Bay Area gamelan group, Gamelan X, who will perform a Javanese and Balinese gamelan and world fusion rendition of the album's self-titled single, to Elizabeth Setzer and La Tania, who will be reinterpret "How to Disappear Completely" through a Flamenco/Balkan lense. You'll also hear an electronic jazz and brass band rendition of "Everything in its Right Place," an ambient-Indian take on "Treefingers," and an experimental pop version of "Motion Picture Soundtrack," to name but a few.
For fans of Radiohead, this event is not to be missed. Just don't come expecting to hear songs that are familiar — that's not the point of this event.
1) Everything In Its Right Place - Disappear Incompletely + Brass Magic [ElectroJazz / Brass]
2) Kid A - Gamelan X [Gamelan / Bali / World Fusion]
3) The National Anthem - Meernaa [Neo Soul Prog Rock]
4) How to Disappear Completely - Elizabeth Setzer & La Tania [Flamenco-Balkan Fusion]
5) Treefingers - Gojogo [Indian Classical / World Ambient]
6) Optimistic - Bang Data [Hip Hop / Cumbia / Rock / Urban Latino]
7) In Limbo - BATTLEHOOCH [Shape-shifting Orchestral Rock]
8) Idioteque - Kid Beyond / Classical Revolution / L.L. Aspect [Strings & Beats]
9) Morning Bell - The Hurd Ensemble [Electronic / Classical]
10) Motion Picture Soundtrack - Guavalove feat. Mooncandy [Experimental Pop]