We told you recently that the BottleRock Napa Valley music festival -- which arrived in its first year with a big, multi-stage lineup, some logistical headaches, and a pile of unpaid debts -- might be returning in 2014. This morning, it became official. A new group of investors calling itself Latitude 38 Entertainment has purchased the BottleRock name, and signed a deal with Napa officials to hold a multi-stage festival this May 30-June 1. But just how similar it will be to last year's event?
The new organizers are subtly, but firmly emphasizing their differences, calling this year's event BottleRock 2.0. The press release today says that investor group Lattitude 38 simply "has purchased the BottleRock name," and repeatedly emphasizes the clean break with last year's promoters.
We can see why they might want to be careful: Though it had a massive lineup with Kings of Leon, the Black Keys, Alabama Shakes, the Flaming Lips, and many other big names, last year's event also suffered more than a few headaches, including traffic jams, an odd food and drink setup, and large bills to festival staff and concessioners that were paid late.
Anyway, organizers of this year's festival say they plan to announce a lineup in late February or early March, with tickets going on sale around the same time. (Tickets purchased last year through the old promoter will be honored as well.) Note that the 2014 edition will only run for three days, as opposed to last year's five, which should help with the logistics. But the big point is that a Napa Valley music festival, which we originally thought was an odd idea, is definitely back for this year. We're curious to see how this new group pulls it off -- and what kind of talent they can get for the lineup.