You don't get traffic jams the size of the one on I-880 Tuesday night for just any reason -- not even when one of the world's biggest rock bands is playing a sold-out show at Overstock.com Coliseum. The mess was so bad that some fans who missed the show are now reportedly pondering a lawsuit.
Enough people chose to take their cars to a U2 concert that it filled up the entire parking lot at the Coliseum. This can't have been a coincidence. Below, our six best guesses as to what the fans were thinking when they got in the car Tuesday night.
1. Thought U2's 360° stage was a bid for most energy-sucking musical performance ever, and wanted to do their part.
2. Wraparound shades just don't look as cool when you're riding public transit.
3. Tickets were so expensive that the limousine ride was thrown in for free.
4. Driving meant as a sly reference to that time U2 performed under the Embarcadero Freeway and stopped traffic.
5. They just wanted to send more money to support people in those Arab countries Bono mentioned during the show, okay?
6. Car provided quickest possible escape in case band played any songs off of Pop. (Because even U2 fans hate "Miami," below.)
You got a theory? Leave it in the comments!