3. Any band whose members include Eric Clapton and/or anyone who used to be in Led Zeppelin.
4. A band whose mere formation warrants a post on Pitchfork's news blog.
5. A band that will never be as good as the band(s) that made its members famous.
6. A side project that, after a night (or several) of excessive alcohol, drugs, driving, and/or sex, became a main project.
7. A band that can afford sillier-than-usual promo photos (see above; really, guys, eating Chinese food on the roof?) Also, a band that gets promo photos before it ever plays a show.
8. A way to get people to actually listen to the shitty bands its members use to be in.
9. A better gig than blogging about music for NPR.
10. An excuse for all those weird band name ideas previously relegated to the back of the notebook.
11. An outfit that gets signed to a prestigious indie label before recording a demo or playing a show.
12. Any band in which Dave Grohl plays drums.
13. The personification of '60s/'80s/'90s nostalgia.
14. Tepid scraps from the breakup of some band that was really great.
15. Fertile leftovers from the destruction of a band that was truly crappy.
16. When applied to Velvet Revolver, an erroneous use of the word "super."
17. A band that's really just like any other band, but with more ego and bigger hype.
Do you have any helpful and/or hilarious definitions for the word "supergroup"? Leave them in the comments below.
Follow us on Twitter @SFAllShookDown and @iPORT