Get SF Weekly Newsletters

You searched for:

  • [X]John Cobbett
Start over

Search for…

Narrow Search

Music, All Shook Down Local Metal Lifer John Cobbett on Surviving San Francisco's Tech Booms: "No Real Art Happens at $300 a Square Foot"

Local Metal Lifer John Cobbett on Surviving San Francisco's Tech Booms: "No Real Art Happens at $300 a Square Foot"

We haven't actually done the math, but 99 percent of metal musicians give up "the dream" and get real on the day job front before they go grey, insane, or broke. Half of that remaining 1 percent consists of bands…
@All Shook Down  Tags: , , , ,
Music, Reviewed Hammers of Misfortune

Hammers of Misfortune

The mythical story line that propelled Hammers of Misfortune's acclaimed debut The Bastard helped set the band apart from its less-ambitious contemporaries in 2001. On the group's latest effort, though, local metal auteur John Cobbett ditches fantasy for an apocalyptic…
Tags: , , , , ,
Music, Reviewed Ludicra

Ludicra

Contrary to the average music fan's perception that black metal automatically equals singers who sound like they're gargling battery acid and relentless, guitar-in-a-Cuisinart riffs, the better bands of the genre actually employ a sonic palette considerably broader than most heavy…
Tags: , , , , ,
Music,

Riff Raff

Trouble in Clubland Last week, the Blackouts decided not to play their scheduled gig at the Mission's Tip Top Inn on June 11. Thereon hangs a tale. In early May, a lengthy e-mail titled "The Tip Top: Another Dead Venue"…
Tags: , , , ,