The Golden Gate Bridge’s Round House
has been the focal point for the icon’s southern edge. Long a gathering place for miserable out-of-towners in shorts pointing helplessly at impenetrable fog and the spot where Lycra-clad, Sausalito-bound cyclists dodge the 29-Sunset buses, it’s now serving food.
The 1938 Deco edifice, constructed one year after the bridge opened to Studebakers and Packards, was originally a diner before transitioning to office space for the Transportation District — the depressing bureaucratic attitude in action! — before becoming the jumping-off point for guided bridge tours and later a spot for green screen photos. So its original purpose has been restored, making it the northernmost spot to get food in the entire city.
The menu consists of classic Americana staples, including apple pies from San Rafael’s Christine’s Upper Crust Pies, hot dogs from Fork in the Road, clam chowder bread bowls from Boudin, cookies by City Baking Company, and Peerless Coffee. Having been renovated by the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy. And mercifully they didn’t go all-in on some Depression-era theme with hobo stew and shit.
One thing to watch out for is the hours, which resemble those of a bank or a French factory worker. At 11 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. daily, it’s great for the midday crush but don’t count on watching the sunset over a slice of pie. Still, this is great for the “moar food, everywhere!” crowd.