- A vegan bakery has been on the horizon for a while now; Picnic Bakery is planning on opening a shop in Upper Haight. Excitement abounds! Laura and Meave at Vegansaurus got a chance to sample some of their desserts and they are totally in a tizzy about them on Vegansaurus. Apparently, you can start ordering your own desserts now. Have at it!
- Basil Strawberry Shortcake, Animal Hugs, and the Nanny Cooks Vegan!
- Usher Eats Vegan, Mickey D's Opens Veg Location, and Tater Tot Casserole Looks Lovely and Amazing!
- Faux Gras, Vegan Junior Mints, and Zucchini Bread with the Vegan Zombie!
- Guys, from the Tolerant Vegan, this beauty is a dried apple stack cake with molasses cream cheese frosting. MOLASSES CREAM CHEESE FROSTING. I would dive into this like I was Scrooge McDuck.
- The Wall Street Journal hopped on the vegan train asking, "Would We Be Healthier With a Vegan Diet?" Spoiler alert: DUH! Well, at least one bro says that.
- Remember how I told you people are feeding chickens a bunch of arsenic? Well apparently now it's in our rice. Jerky omnivores! Damning our vegan food with your abominable ways! You're never happy just poisoning yourselves are you.
- A new poll shows a majority of Oakland residents aren't that stoked about backyard slaughter. Keep the murder in the factory farms! That's what I always say.
- A judge just ruled that the foie gras ban will indeed go into effect, despite opposition from -- guess who -- the foie gras producers! Give it up bros. I encourage you to head over to the L.A. Times and read the opinion piece that's totally like, "get over it" to all the chefs lamenting the ban. Because, for real, they need to get over it.
- Superstar dog Uggie wrote a letter to Governor Brown's dog asking him to get the governor to sign a bill that would end the use of radio-collared dogs in trophy hunting. A dog wrote a letter to a dog! Wonders never cease. My dog doesn't give a crap about politics. But he kind of lives in his own sovereign state where he reigns supreme (help!).
- I will leave you with the most controversial news of the week: Starbucks has dropped free soy milk from their rewards perks. People are PISSED.
- Oh, one more thing: I love you, Casey Affleck!
You can follow Megan Rascal on Twitter at @MeganRascal. And you can follow SFoodie at @sfoodie.