We go to a lot of wine tastings: trade, consumer, best-of, pre-auction, single-appellation super-regional. They can be a great way to train the palate, but over time they're tiring to foot and tongue. So, we've resolved to focus only on the ones that have shined over time, the ones where your feet and tongue will be satisfied with what you've put them through. Here's a favorite.
This year marks the 21st annual ZAP, Zinfandel Advocates & Producers, celebrating the spice, fruit and flair of Zinfandel. This year's Grand Tasting moves to The Concourse at 8th & Brannan with over 650 Zins from 208 producers from different regions Saturday January 28.
There's also a separate, evening, food & wine pairing event (Epicuria), the Thursday before. Fifty vintners will pair Zins with the food of 50 chefs including:
- Artezin Wines paired with Kollar Chocolates
- B.R. Cohn Winery paired with Preferred Sonoma Caterers
- Calstar Cellars paired with Cabot Creamery
- Claudia Springs Winery paired with Pacific Catch
- D-Cubed Cellars paired with A-16
- Dogwood Cellars paired with Sift Cupcake
- Four Vines paired with City College of San Francisco
- Gamba Vineyards and Winery paired with ESTATE
- J. Dusi paired with First Crush
- Klinker Brick Winery paired with Fifth Floor
- Ledson Winery & Vineyards paired with Centre du Vin at the Ledson Hotel
- Mazzocco Winery paired with Radio Africa Kitchen
- McCay Cellars paired with Wine & Roses
- Outpost Wines paired with Mustards Grill
- Peachy Canyon Winery paired with Swan Oyster Depot
- R&B Cellars paired with Paul's Paella
- Ravenswood paired with Central Market
- Rock Wall Wine Co paired with Angela's Bistro
- Selby Winery paired with Bocanova;
- St. Francis Winery paired with Executive Chef David Bush
- Starry Night Winery paired with Il Davide Restaurant;
- Terra d'Oro Winery (recently reviewed by us here) paired with Taste
- Three Wine Company paired with The Fairmont;
- Trentadue Winery paired with Sarah's Forestville Kitchen
- Tres Sabores Winery paired with Dean and Deluca
There's also "The ZinKitchen," where chefs will demo dishes to go well with Zin. Chef/Sommelier teams will include:
Chef Mark Dommen and Sommelier Tonya Pitts from One Market Restaurant
Chef David Taylor and Sommelier Shelley Lindgren from A16
Chef Michael Thiemann and Sommelier Ken Wagstaff from Wayfarer Tavern.
Other events, and parallel tastings, will also be happening in and around the event. Details can be found online at ZAP's site.
Thursday January 26 from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m.
The Concourse (635 8th Street at Brannan, San Francisco 94103-4901).
Tickets are $95 ZAP members, $125 non-members.
Concourse at 8th & Brannan
Saturday January 28 from 2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m
Tickets are $49 ZAP members, $59 non-members and $69 at the door.
Contact Ben Narisin at email@example.com . Follow us on Twitter: @sfoodie, and like us on Facebook.