Some restaurants took the ushering in of a new year as the time to bow out of the city's restaurant scene. Elizabeth Falkner is officially out after closing Citizen Cake on the heels of Orson's shutter. No longer will you venture out to the Richmond District to eat Dennis Lee's ramyeon at Namu, as the team focuses on their pending Mission restaurant, Namu Gaji. And farewell, dear Hooters.
Other restaurateurs (State Bird Provisions, Hong Kong Lounge II, Quick Fix) saw December as the time to ready for the beginning of 2012. So, alas, happy new year's eating! Here are new places to check out as 2012 grows older.
• The Ritz-Carlton renamed its restaurant Parallel 37 (600 Stockton at Pine), updating its menu and expanding its bar program.
• With their State Bird Provisions (1529 Fillmore at Geary) former Rubicon chefs Stuart Brioza and Nicole Krasinski are serving small plates, dim sum style.
• The pairing-focused Maven (598 Haight at Steiner) opened with small plates and accompanying drinks.
• American Eatery (1 Ferry Building at Embarcadero)
• Batter Bakery (2127 Polk at Broadway)
• Bouche (603 Bush at Grant)
• Cafeto (111 Richland at Mission)
• City Chopsticks (883 Bush at Taylor)
• Elite Audio System Cafe (891 Folsom at Fifth St.)
• Firehouse Pizza (6001 California at 22nd Ave.)
• Galette 88 (88 Hardie at Kearny)
• Holy Dog (1552 Fillmore at Geary)
• Hong Kong Lounge II (3300 Geary at Parker)
• ING Direct Cafe (Post at Kearny)
• Iron & Gold (3187 Mission at Valencia, bar)
• i-Skewers (2407 Judah at 29th Ave.)
• Ken Ken Ramen (3378 18th St. at Mission)
• Mozzeria (3228 16th St. at Guerrero)
• Per Diem (43 Sutter at Montgomery)
• Precita Park Cafe (500 Precita at Alabama)
• Square Meals (2127 Polk at Broadway)
• Tataki Canyon (678 Chenery at Diamond)
• La Boulange (465 California at Montgomery)
• Sofa (139 Eighth St. at Minna, under Bossa Nova)
• Stroganoff (418 Beach at Taylor)
• Quick Fix (835 Geary at Van Ness)
• 2223 Restaurant
• Big Nate's BBQ
• Cafe Mereb
• Citizen Cake Ice Cream Parlor & Eats
• Passion Cafe
• Steps of Rome Trattoria
• Teatro ZinZanni (relocating down the Embarcadero later this year)