Highlights from the blog this week:
1. Some of you are spending your afternoons ignoring your work in favor of stressing over what you're going to be sending to the folks back home for the holidays. Laura Beck has done some of the work for you, IDing seven local chocolate companies that ship.
2. If you happen to be awake at 4 a.m. and you happen to be craving cake and you happen to be watching the Food Network and a show called Have Cake, Will Travel comes on, should you watch it? Food TV critic Michael Leaverton says no. Emphatically.
3. The shelves of upscale markets and beer stores are once again stocked with holiday beers. Jason Henry convened a tasting panel to evaluate a number of the spiced beers out there. Anchor scored well, once again, but the Belgians made a strong showing. Apparently, a millennium or two of practice has resulted in some fine beers.
4. Because three special fried chicken dinners weren't enough, SFoodie checked out Spice Kit, which serves a sort of red-cooked fried chicken for lunch on Wednesdays and Fridays. Worth it? Served in Vietnamese sandwiches, yes.
5. Continuing his series of interviews with coffee types all over the city, Noah Sanders interviews Nathan Wyss, owner of Contraband Coffee, about what it means to try and please third-wave geeks and neighborhood residents all at the same time.