Huddle up, team. The mirage of SF Beer Week is beginning to take shape, with the festivities looming in less than two weeks. It's high time to ramp up our daily training regimen. Lucky for us, the good folks at Magnolia and 21st Amendment want to help. Today, each brewery is unleashing six potent brews upon the cowering citizens of S.F., a kickoff to the Ninth Annual Strong Beer Month. And newcomer Social Kitchen and Brewery is joining the fray, contributing five heady beers of its own.
This ain't your dad's malt liquor. These brews are meticulously crafted, represent a wide range of styles, and just so happen to pack a little extra ... pizazz. Are you tough enough to conquer these strong brews? There's only one way to find out:
Magnolia Pub and Brewery: 1398 Haight (at Masonic), 864-7468.
1) Tweezer Tripel, Belgian style tripel, 9.4% ABV
2) Promised Land, imperial (i.e., "double") IPA, 10.5% ABV
3) Old Thunderpussy, barleywine, 11.1% ABV
4) Smokestack Lightning, imperial stout, 11.0% ABV
5) Pride of Branthill, strong English bitter, 8.4% ABV
6) Rye Rye Rocco, rye beer, 10.2% ABV
21st Amendment Brewery: 563 Second St. (at Bryant), 369-0900.
1) Red Imp, imperial amber ale, 8.4% ABV
2) Lower De Boom, barleywine, 9.5% ABV
3) 21 Rock, triple IPA, 9.7% ABV (brewed in collaboration with Triple Rock Brewery)
4) Lord and Master, strong English blonde, 8.7% ABV
5) Two-Lane Blacktop, imperial black IPA, 9.7% ABV
6) Imperial Jack, English pale, 8.9% ABV
Social Kitchen and Brewery: 1326 Ninth Ave. (at Irving), 681-0330.
1) Big Muddy Weizenbock, Bavarian strong wheat beer, 8.2% ABV
2) White Thai Affair, Belgian golden ale brewed with galangal and lemongrass, 9.5% ABV
3) Double Doozy, imperial IPA, 9.2% ABV
4) The Giant S'more, Belgian-style imperial stout, 10.5% ABV
5) The Big Lebowski White Prussian, imperial grätzer (smoked wheat) ale brewed with espresso, 9.0% ABV