SFoodie's roundup of tips, news, and rants from the week in animal-free eats.
• The SF Vegan Bakesale is BACK! After being rained out in December, the vegan deliciousness is back for another go! So far, sunny skies are predicted for Jan. 15, so let's all go and eat and eat and eat and eat and eat ad infinitum.
• Mother Jones pissed off the vegans royally this week by publishing an incredibly whack interview about the owners of Beast in Portland, a restaurant that serves meat almost exclusively. The really offensive part, though, was the editors tweeting about vegans being up in arms about the article. NO DOY. I wrote a response on Vegansaurus because I was STEAMED! I love that the only critique I've heard so far from Mother Jones and her village idiots is typical finger-wagging over use of the word "gaywad." Ladies, I'm a total gaywad so you can't hurt me with that, I embrace it! Just like you dumb-dumbs should embrace vegans as your natural allies and stop trying to sit at the cool kids' table. Not gonna happen.
• Vegan Pizza Day is coming. Are you ready? Because on Jan. 29, so much vegan pizza is gonna be consumed and we're all gonna be the fattest best. I can't wait!
• I don't know anything about this website except that they have a feature called "Sandwich of the Week," and that reminds me of PBS's Sandwiches That You Will Like, a TV show that's all about sandwiches! Genius! I watch and imagine veganizing all of them and being the happiest glutton in all the land. Anyway, I'm enamored. This week they're featuring a vegan sandwich! Specifically, a vegan BBQ burger in NORTH CAROLINA. Vegan mainstreaming WHAT!
• Speaking of veganism gaining traction, an Associated Press piece ran all over the country talking about vegan diets gaining in popularity. It's true, I'm vegan and I'm very popular. That's how it works, right? Everyone be more like me so we can really get this bitch moving!
• Texas authorities were forced to close part of the Houston Ship Channel Tuesday after 250,000 gallons of beef fat spewed out of a shore-based storage tank. I'm gonna puke. No, seriously, that photo has got to be the nastiest thing I've ever seen and I've seen Star Jones naked. I know, RIGHT??
• Loads and loads of animals are randomly dying in the sky and sea. Meave at Vegansaurus has a lighthearted take on it (not!) but for real: WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE. It's terrifying and we should be worried. I mean, isn't this one of the plagues? If not, it should be. End of days, folks.
• In other supergross and disturbing news of the week, a group of greedy assholes are meeting in Las Vegas (natch) to discuss legalizing horse slaughter in the United States. Horse slaughter was just banned in 2007, and to defeat this would be monumentally sad. God, humans are the fucking worst. When the Animal Wars begin and the Lion King declares war on humans and we're forced to choose sides, I'm with them. Seriously, I will be a traitor to my own race so fast, you have no idea. I'll probably be eaten by some hyenas or some shit but whatever, they can consume my rage/fat and become stronger/fatter for it! This is getting a little weird. Happy New Year!