The project is the brainchild of Thad Vogler and Eric Johnson, arguably the most influential forces in the San Francisco cocktail and bar revival. They either started or redefined the programs at The Slanted Door, Beretta, Camino, Jardinière, COCO 500, and Presidio Social Club.
The progression of the pair's style of cocktail-making has been evolving into a cleaner and ultra-locally focused style, with a preference for agricole-type rum. That's a spirit made entirely from distilled, fresh-pressed and fermented sugarcane juice, rather than the molasses common with most other rums.
The team behind Bar Agricole reads like a Super Friends roster: Vogler and Johnson at the bar, Mark Ellenbogen (Slanted Door) in the wine cellar, and Brandon Jew (Quince, Magnolia, and Oakland's Adesso) holding down the kitchen.
Behold the cocktail menu, as sussed out by Bonné:
• Whiskey Cocktail: Whiskey, dry vermouth and grenadine, absinthe, orange bitters
• Traditional Sour: Blanche d'Armagnac, lemon, egg white
• Brandy Cocktail: Brandy, curaçao, Italian vermouth, absinthe, bitters
• Daiquiri: White rum, lime, grapefruit, Maraska, aromatic bitters
• Jersey Sour: California brandy, lemon, apple, maple, aromatic bitters
• Tequila Daisy: Tequila, lemon, vermouth blanc, apricot preserves, chartreuse bitters
• Petit Zinc: Farmhouse vodka, orange juice, red vermouth, farmhouse curaçao
• Whiskey Sour: Whiskey, lime, port, orange bitters
• Presidente: California agricole, farmhouse curaçao, grenadine, orange bitters
• White Rum Swizzle: Rum, two vermouths, lemon, farmhouse curaçao, raspberry
• Ti Punch: Rum, lime, hibiscus bitters
• Gin Cocktail: Gin, Riesling,stone-fruit bitters
• Star Daisy: Calvados, gin, grenadine, lemon
• Capitan Cocktail: Blanche d'Armagnac, aromatic bitters, chinato
• Dry Pisco Punch: Pisco, pineapple gum, hibiscus bitters
Opening August 15:
Bar Agricole 355 Eleventh St. (at Harrison)