Please, hold off on making smug conclusions about the real cost of factory food. A couple dozen workers were hurt this morning in an ammonia leak at the Columbus Salame
factory in South San Francisco. SFgate
reported that 16 people were treated and released after exposure to anhydrous ammonia, a gas used in refrigeration. Eight others were taken to the hospital. An evacuation and shelter-in-place were briefly in place for the area around the factory.
The apparently accidental leak wasn't the first calamity at the Columbus factory this summer. One of the factory buildings suffered a four-alarm fire late last month. Okay, go ahead and make your grim conclusions. Only hold off on the smugness.